Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Jim Marshall Video

If you care about Music photography -- particularly classic rock and blues, then Jim Marshall is your man. Even people that don't know the man, often recognize the shots of Hendrix, Joplin, and others from fan zines, posters, or books from the "music" isle. I definitely had an aha moment when I rediscovered his work as the work of a specific photographer, and I went though a kind of repeat "Oh yeah, that Hendrix shot..." sequence going through one of his books for the first time that I got with only a couple other photographers (Annie Liebowitz' Rolling Stones shots come to mind).

He is one of the best, and this might be the best personal life's work slideshow talk I've seen on the Internet. Before viewing this talk, I thought of him exclusively as a music photographer, but he is a photojournalist; his civil rights and 60s culture stuff in particular was astounding.

I also appreciated the host blogger/photog's suggestion to pour myself a shot of rye and relax. You'll be glad you did.

http://www.whatsthejackanory.com/2009/02/jim-marshall-the-original-rock-n-rolla/

There's a little bit of a pause to set the stage. Kind of boring if you don't care about knowing what it's like to be Planton's BFF (although I like the Heinekins in the fridge)...just be patient and wait for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home